Duramax 6.6L Fuel Filter Housing Buyer's Guide
Do you have a hunch that the fuel filter housing on your Silverado or Sierra HD may be failing, but you're not sure what to do? This buyer's guide can help you navigate the issue. We'll talk about:
- What a fuel filter housing is and why it's important
- Diagnosing a failing fuel filter housing
- Deciding between an OEM or aftermarket replacement fuel filter housing
- Replacing the fuel filter housing on your Silverado or Sierra
1. What Is A Fuel Filter Housing?
The fuel filter housing plays a big role in keeping your Duramax 6.6L running the way it should. While the filter media cleans the fuel, the housing performs several other functions. A fuel filter housing on a diesel engine has three components:
- Fuel filter head
- Water in fuel sensor
- Fuel filter
This post does a great job explaining what a fuel filter housing is in more detail.
2. How Can I Confirm That My Fuel Filter Housing Is Bad?
Sometimes a fuel filer housing can start leaking and allow air to enter the fuel system. When that happens, you'll notice some symptoms:
- Lots of cranking to start the engine
- The engine dies after starting
- The engine won't start if the truck is parked on an incline
If you're experiencing any of these problems, it’s time to inspect the fuel filter housing. You’ll need to look at the o-ring seals, filter head, and the rest of the assembly for leaks. This guide has more information on diagnosing a failed fuel filter housing.
3. Should I Get An OEM Or Aftermarket Replacement Fuel Filter Housing?
When you have a failed fuel filter housing on your Silverado, you may be wondering if you should get an aftermarket replacement part. If you ask us, it's always a good idea to stick to OEM replacement parts. It's because you can always rely on OEM fuel filter housings when it comes to:
- Material quality
Aftermarket fuel filter housings are a hit or miss (mostly miss) when it comes to the above factors. This comparison guide has more information about this.
4. How Do I Replace The Fuel Filter Housing For My Duramax?
Replacing the fuel filter housing (or fuel filter) in a Silverado or Sierra HD is a pretty easy job. You should be able to pull it off in an hour or two with the right tools and this set of instructions.
Do you have any questions this guide didn't answer? We'll be happy to assist you if you contact us!