How To Upgrade To Tow Mirrors On Your Silverado
Do you tow often with your Silverado? Here’s a simple upgrade that will make your life so much easier: tow mirrors.
What Are Tow Mirrors?
Tow mirrors are beefed-up versions of standard factory side mirrors. They typically contain two mirrors: a larger mirror and a smaller one that’s often underneath or on the side.
A tow mirror’s main purpose is to help increase your line of sight while towing. It keeps your boat or trailer in your peripheral vision at all times. There are all kinds of tow mirrors you can get for your Silverado. Manual tow mirrors, power tow mirrors, and telescopic/extendable tow mirrors are among the most popular ones.
When you upgrade to tow mirrors, you can opt for extra features like turn signals or heated mirrors.
Buying The Best Tow Mirrors For Your Silverado
One of the first decisions you’ll have to make is whether to buy OEM tow mirrors or aftermarket tow mirrors. If you’re concerned about quality, durability, and precise fitment, OEM is the way to go.
OEM tow mirrors are built by the same manufacturer that built all the other factory parts on your Silverado. This means the tow mirror will be built to your Silverado’s specs and with the highest quality materials. When it comes to aftermarket tow mirrors, it’s a hit or miss in terms of quality, durability, and precise fitment.
Finding the right OEM tow mirror for your Silverado is easy. All you have to do is to perform a search on your Silverado in our catalog, and you’ll get a list of all the options available for your truck.
- Part No. 23372182: Black; for 2015-2018 Silverado 1500, 2500, and 3500 models
- Part No. 23372181: Chrome; for 2015-2018 Silverado 1500, 2500, and 3500 models
- Part No. 19202235: Black; for 2011-2014 Silverado 1500, 2500, and 3500 models
- Part No. 20862099: Black; for 2011-2014 Silverado 1500, 2500, and 3500 models
How To Install Tow Mirrors
Basically, the process involves removing your factory side mirrors and then installing your new tow mirrors. To do this:
- Roll down your windows and then shut off your truck.
- With an angled trim tool, gently pry off the triangle-shaped cover on the opposite side of the side mirror.
- Remove the foam insulator.
- With a slotted screwdriver, unplug all the plug connectors (if your mirror is powered).
- With a 10 mm socket, remove the three bolts. Be careful not to drop them into the door cavity.
- Gently pull off the side mirror.
- Install the new tow mirrors in the reverse order of this procedure.
- Repeat on the other side.
Please contact us if you have any questions about the installation process.